
"Not fair" - Sports Director Hüttel contradicts Geiger after Ottesen criticism
Originally published in Sportschau on December 03, 2024
"Not fair" - Sports Director Hüttel contradicts Geiger after Ottesen criticism
The Nordic Combined is fighting for its survival. Recently, Vinzenz Geiger stated that Race Director Lasse Ottesen was not doing enough to support the sport. DSV Sports Director Hüttel sees it differently, as he revealed in an interview with Sportschau.
In the worst-case scenario, Nordic Combined may be represented at the 2026 Olympics for the last time. Whether it will still be part of the program in the French Alps four years later is currently completely open. The IOC demands reforms to make the sport more attractive.
Geiger does not think it is acceptable that this year's World Cup calendar only includes eight events. He deemed the plan a "shame, at a time when we need to focus on our strengths," criticizing Ottesen in a now-deleted post before the World Cup kick-off in Ruka: "Judging by this calendar, you must have been extremely busy - doing nothing!" He felt that the chances of the continuation of his sport had diminished.
Hüttel finds Geiger's criticism of Ottesen "unfair".
In an interview with Sportschau, DSV Sports Director Horst Hüttel contradicts Geiger and finds the criticism unfair towards Ottesen. "I can see that Race Director Lasse Ottesen is making great efforts, and therefore it is not fair to portray him as the villain. That has happened a little here."
According to Hüttel, Ottesen had sought to include a World Cup in Japan in the schedule, "as he is also aware of the importance of having a World Cup on Asian soil." There had been several discussions, but in the end, all involved concluded that due to the financial situation of the federation, these World Cups were simply not feasible.
Hüttel spoke with Geiger: "We want the independent athlete"
Hüttel sought to speak with Geiger. "He said he didn’t have all this background information." Geiger is "man enough to accept it," Hüttel believes, who shows understanding for Geiger and does not want to silence his athlete. "We want the informed athlete. We will not muzzle anyone."
Hüttel does not rule out that there could still be a conversation between Geiger and Ottesen, leading to a reconciliation.
Nordic Combined expelled in 2030? Hüttel is cautiously optimistic.
Nevertheless, concerns linger among some athletes about how long they can still practice their sport on the world stage. Hüttel remains cautiously optimistic about the future. "Right now, I truly believe that the allocation for the 2030 Olympics in France could be a fortunate event for us, perhaps our salvation," Hüttel said. "Because France itself absolutely supports and promotes Nordic Combined."
The federation has clearly positioned itself towards the IOC, affirming that it sees Nordic Combined as a fixed component, both men's and women's, in the Olympic program for 2030.
In the summer, there was a FIS Youth Cup in Tschagguns, Austria, with 16 participating nations, the maximum ever. "That has also been recognized by the IOC," Hüttel said. "And that shows that certain programs are gaining traction. Therefore, I am currently more hopeful that things will develop in the direction we all desire."
See Also
"Scandal!" Conflict Before the Fateful Year - Historic Knockout Threatens
November 27, 2024 / Sport1

Nordic Combined Battles Against Olympic Exclusion for 2030 Games
November 14, 2024 / Sportschau

The Decline of Germany’s Nordic Combined Dominance
March 19, 2024 / Sportschau